Monday 23 January 2012

Green Goodness: Cilantro!

A while back I went to a pretty interesting restaurant called Cafe My House (http://www.cafemyhouse.com/) that serves mostly vegan food, but omni and raw as well. They see it as their way of introducing vegan foods to everyone and displaying how good it is! While I may not agree with serving meat at a veg-minded restaurant, it's a different approach and seems to be working for them.

So I had their Mango-Cilantro smoothie (they have a variety of raw vegan smoothies) and absolutely fell in love with it. A combination that I probably wouldn't have thought of on my own! My little brother, who's 2, loved it as well, so it's definitely a family pleasing combo of yummy goodness.

I haven't been into green smoothies much because i didn't have a blender that was good enough to break it don enough to not have massive pieces of spinach or still in it. But my mama darling came home with a Vitamix the other day and I have been in smoothie heaven ever since! Today's was a lovely spin-off of the one I had at cafe my house!


Mango-Cilantro Smoothie

5 Ataulfo Mangos (also called champagne or yellow)
5 Peaches
Large bunch of cilantro
About a cup of water, or to preference

Pulse the mangoes, peaches and water, then add the cilantro and blend on high until blended through.

I love how the flavors compliment each other. It's definitely worth a try! 

Green smoothies are the easiest way to get in greens, other than salads which most people don't enjoy as much. I love salads, but usually get in the rut of always eating the same combo and it doesn't always tempt me to eat it everyday. I think that the trick to having greens on a regular basis is to find a few that you actually enjoy, adn trust me there's a ton of varieties out there, there's bound to be at least one that you like! My personal faves are romaine lettuce, baby spinach and cilantro, I also enjoy kale but only when it's properly prepared! 

No comments:

Post a Comment